Wednesday, July 29, 2009
Tuesday, July 28, 2009
Monday, July 27, 2009
As some of you know, I have begun a small (very small) business called "Loaves of Joy". It is going pretty well. My goal is to never go a week without making a sale. However, I have a difficult time "marketing" myself. I never want to make people feel like they need to support me, but I enjoy baking and its a way of bringing in some extra money without "going" to work.
So if you have any ideas on how to get the bread 'out there', please let me know. Some things that have been suggested are:
- local craft shows or booths
- local restraunts
I think the hospital thing could be a ministry idea. Maybe selling it a nurses lounge area, then building relationships with women at the hospital and being aware of people in need. So that i would have a way of knowing who I should GIVE some of the bread to.
I must ask myself if i could take on some of the things listed above with a new baby arriving and the answer is no. I need to be able to bake at home and deliver when the customer needs it. A Pre-order plan is best for me, especially right now. So any suggestions on where to take a sample loaf and pre-order form would be VERY helpful!
Loaves ready to sell.
Fresh out of the oven.
I thought i might should make several posts of little Brennan before the new baby gets all the camera time..He brings such joy to my heart!!!
Here he is playing in his toy box-a large amount of time is spent taking the toys OUT. He is working on putting them back up!
And a favorite pastime is feeding Bailey. For awhile there HE was eating her food. Now at least he knows to give it to her. However, she is not always as hungry as he thinks she should be.
Here he is playing sweetly in his room while i do some chores..
Check out our little man chillin' in the sun.
This is his new little baby pool.
His favorite pastime---EATING!
I was working on my toenails and fingernails. Brennan got in the cotton balls. His daddy would be happy if he chose another pastime..does this mean too much time with his Mama?
Saturday, July 25, 2009
My sweet friends Lindsay and Debbie came up with a creative 2nd-baby shower. It was called a squeaky clean shower and friends brought items to keep Baby Benjamin clean.
I had plenty of little helpers as I was opening gifts. It seems most of my friends now have little ones of their own or have one on the way.
Here is Brennan, right on cousin Chase's heels. He always loves being around other children!
This shower was a HUGE blessing for us as we prepare for the new baby!! We got baby wash, lotion, diapers, wipes, and all those things that are used up with the first baby.. Thank you to all my precious girl friends who gave and my sweet Mama,who drove up all the way from Alabama!
Thursday, July 23, 2009
I updated the kitchen blog with new recipes, grocery list and meal plans..check it out here.
I went to the doctor on Tuesday and the latest is he is 6 lbs 1 oz so far..they did an ultrasound to check my fluid levels because my water is leaking out. I go back next Tuesday. They are jsut going to keep an eye on it, so that it doesn't get dangerously low, but I am 35 weeks, so it would be okay if he came. Although, I haven't even had any Braxton Hicks..
I really want to go into labor and not have to be induced and pushed through that system of time..You know-its not happening in the time they want it to so they up your Petocin and strip your membranes and pump you with fluid and decide on a c-section b/c the baby might be in 'distress'.. So please pray that I have contractions and can naturally go into labor..
Thursday, July 16, 2009
When I first got married I had no idea what items I needed to have "on hand" in my kitchen at all times. I didn't know what "staples" to buy each time I went to the grocery. And on more than one occasion my husband came home to me sitting on the kitchen floor crying because I didn't know what to cook for dinner.
I was highly intimidated by all the fancy cookbooks I had received as wedding presents and I NEVER had all those ingredients. To add to my frustration, my mother had always had dinner on the table when my dad arrive home from work and all the dishes were always "done" at the same time.
I knew how to cook about three things and every time I tried something new, it had a pretty major flaw.
This site is dedicated to newly married couples searching for easy meals and moms who are ultra busy and need some quick meals. Every time I have googled or searched for "easy" meals, I think to myself "easy for who?" and "who has these ingredients lying around?"
So a few things about this site:
- the goal is to have a happy cook and a happy kitchen..
- the meals posted here will always be simple
- the posts are to be helpful and give tips to beginner kitchens
- this site hopes to address questions and give solutions to everyday living in the kitchen
check it out at www.littlejoyskitchen.blogspot.com
Here are some pictures of our new little one's home to be. We decided to leave the "big" bed up in our guest room and just add the baby bed and changing table. This way if guest come, we can stay in there with the baby and they can have the master bedroom and bath.
My cousin had here tubes tied after her last one and this was the furniture that she was getting rid of. It happened to match PERFECTLY and it was FREE!!!
The baby bed...The 'theme' if there is one, is trees..
Here is what the room looks like without being able to see the baby stuff.
Wednesday, July 8, 2009
I was talking about little joys in my last post and there is one more thing that is not so little that i wanted to rejoice in publicly so that you could share in the moment and i pray for this kind of Joy to be bestowed upon you as you read this.
Since Brennan has been born, Ben and i have been limited in our dates. We have allowed that to take a backseat for several reasons. At first it was nursing-you can't go anywhere without your baby for very long! Then it was scheduling mixed with finances, lately it has been finances mixed with finding an available sitter (without wearing out the faithful precious ones that we always call upon).
One sweet friend of mine who just graduated high school and i were talking (we get together once a week) and she offered to babysit Brennan last weekend. It was a great surprise and she insisted on us having a date night.
When we got back i tried to pay her (to no avail) and was very blessed by her humility and service to our marriage and family. She graciously views herself as been given much by God and as many of our dear, wonderful friends (Mike and KAY!, Bethany, my sweet elderly neighbor) they recognize God's gifts to them and want simply to bless others.
As if that weren't enough, on our date i had begun to share with Ben about some things i was learning in a book i was reading and how it challenged me. On our way to bed that night i grabbed the book and my bible from where i had been studying that morning. When i did $50 fell out of it!
Now, i know God is good and provides generously for His children, but i was overwhelmed at finding this money. Where did it come from?? Yes, GOD! I know there was most likely a physical representative that left that (& it wasn't my sitter, i asked)..but nevertheless mysterious!
Thanks be to God for HIS indescribable gifts!!! And i have a notion that it could have been one of those afore mentioned wonderful people that was at my house for lunch..but i know that no matter what it was my wonderful Heavenly Provider. I am so thankful that God allowed us to go on that date, though it was in a way an act of faith that He would provide the un-budgeted money..
Any friends want to share surprising and wonderful ways God blesses YOU?
HA! Today history was made for all of you who were unaware..at 12:34 and 56 seconds on today, 07/08/09 it was, for the first time ever, a consecutive moment!
I thought that was a tadbit of funny to share. My husband called and told me and we had mini celebration (i taught Brennan how to "toast" as he bumped his sippy cup with my lemonade!)
Here as some other "little joys" i have had today:
1. I bought Brennan a pretend camera (that looks really hi-tec) for a dollar at a salvage sell. On Monday he had his one year portraits done [to see them click here and go to event access or here] Ben took over 90 pictures, so Brennan learned what to do with the camera. All morning he walked around with it making a clicking noise with his tongue and trying to close one eye to look through the lense! Precious-already wants to be like his Daddy
2. He LOVES to brush his teeth. Like this morning on our walk he HAD to take his toothbrush and did not let go for the entire 2 miles!
3. On that note, he has a book called "Toothbrush, Jammies, Man in the Moon, Why is Bedtime So So Soon?" We haven't read it in like 3 weeks (b/c he had hidden it under the futon) he found it today and brought it to me doing the sign for brush teeth! We had to find the page where the little girl was brushing her teeth.
4. In this same book the little girl stretches and yawns really big before getting in the bed. In the picture her little hands are made into fists..A couple of weeks ago, Ben thought that it would be great to teach Brennan how to "fist bump" like big boys and teens and so when Brennan sees this picture he wants to "bump" fists with her and he puts his chubby little cute fist up next to the page! Gotta love moments like that!
5. I have been really challenged in my disciplining him lately b/c he has begun to laugh when i use my "serious" voice. Like when he is in the dogfood, or the china cabinet, or the toilet. When i say "NO NO" in my firm tone, its like he thinks its a game. My nephew did this and my best friends little girl, so i know that its not just an evil laugh, its a nervous reaction to us using an unfamiliar tone and it doesn't necessarily mean that they think what they are doing is funny, just that normally the things they do don't get much reaction and so if we respond "theatrically" to them they think maybe its something they should laugh at--us, not their disobedience-however, it can make it a challenge to be firm when he laughs hysterically when he disobeys. But our poor dog runs everytime i use that voice-she thinks its HER thats in trouble!!
So what are some little things that YOU have laughed about today? Somethings that made you have a little joy?
Thursday, July 2, 2009
My daddy and daddy-in-law both LOVE chocolate and peanut butter, so this is a new found favorite for them:
Chewy Peanut Chocolate Chip Cookies:
1/2 c. butter
1/2 c. peanut butter
1 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. white sugar
2 T. corn syrup
2 T. h2o
2 t. vanilla
2 1/2 c. flour
1 t. soda
1/2 t. salt
2 c. milk chocolate morsels
Cream first 4 ingredients, add eggs one at a time, add in wet ingredients then flour. Add chips at the end. Bake for 12 minutes on 350!